The Donor Bill of Rights
The Board of Directors of the Central City Foundation concurs with the Canadian Centre for Philanthropy that it is your right, as a donor and supporter to understand how and where your donations are going. To assure that you have full confidence in The Central City Foundation and the causes that we support on your behalf, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of it’s capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate knowledge and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
This is our pledge to you!
*Reproduced with permission from The Canadian Centre for Philanthropy.