How to Apply for a Grant
Central City Foundation welcomes applications for grant funding from community-led organizations who are dedicated to helping people in Vancouver’s inner city improve their lives. We invest in promising programs that offer innovative solutions to issues such as homelessness and a lack of affordable housing, poverty, food security and access to nutritious food, mental and physical health challenges, addiction and more. Does that sound like your organization? Read more about our funding criteria, and check out where we’re making an impact in the inner city.
General Funding Guidelines
- Mission Statement:
Improve the lives of people in need in Vancouver’s inner city through grants and leading, sustainable social purpose investment in facilities and programs
- Geographic Scope:
Vancouver’s inner city neighbourhoods
- Grant Range:
Maximum allowable grant is $30,000
Preference will be given to organizations that are registered Canadian charities with a federal charitable tax number and are a registered BC Society. Grants are provided for small capital projects, including grants to support construction, renovation and equipment purchases
Areas of Focus for Our Capital Grants
- Children and Youth:
We provide capital grants to organizations that work with children and youth in the inner city to overcome poverty, homelessness, food security and lack of access to education or other opportunities
- Community transformation:
We provide capital grants to organizations who enhance the inner city through outcomes-based counselling programs, community support groups, social enterprise and other initiatives that build a stronger community
- Urgent needs of people in the inner city:
We provide capital grants to organizations that focus on the day-to-day needs of people in the inner city to assist with basic shelter, food security and support services
Grants will not be awarded to political organizations, for deficit financing, ongoing operating funds, staffing costs, endowment funds, general fundraising campaigns, amateur sports, conferences, workshops or seminars. Grants are not awarded for medical equipment or computers. Organizations may only apply for a grant from the Central City Foundation once a year.
- Call us! Call the Foundation directly at 604.683.2263 to find out if your project meets the criteria and may qualify for a grant
- Submit a Letter of Intent: If it’s determined that your project meets the criteria, you will be invited to submit a Letter of Intent. The deadlines for the Letters of Intent are March 15th for the May 1st application deadline, and September 15th for the November 1st application deadline
- Submit an application: Upon review of your Letter of Intent, we will ask you to submit an application if your project is deemed suitable. Application deadlines are twice a year on May 1st and November 1st. Please allow three to four weeks after the deadlines for evaluations and adjudication
Please note that submitted materials become the property of the Central City Foundation and that requests for funding typically exceed grant limits.